|Modesto Maidique Campus and Online|
- Students can take one, two, three or four graduate classes at a time
- Students are allowed to take a mix of on-campus and online classes
- Certificates are available as specializations completed in conjunction with the MPA degree.
- Many MPA Students complete a certificate as part of their MPA program by selecting electives that meet certificate requirements.
- Students can complete the MPA and a graduate certificate within the 42-credit requirement.
Six Graduate Certificates
- Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security & Emergency Management: Helps professionals navigate a complex intergovernmental policy framework with an eye to best practice allocation of scarce resources devoted to preventing or mitigating the impacts of natural and man-made disasters.
- Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit and Community Development: Provides tools and analytic frameworks useful to local decision-makers responsible for developing and managing sustainable high-wage communities in an increasingly competitive world economy.
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Policy and Management: Provides students with a thorough understanding of the managerial concepts and techniques of human resource (personnel) management.
- Graduate Certificate in Public Finance, Procurement, and Contract Management : Provides students exposure to competencies in contract and project management, public finance and the budgetary process, procurement and ethics, and legal aspects of procurement and public finance.
- Graduate Certificate in Public Management: Prepares students who need the background in public administration but cannot commit to a full MPA degree. Most of the courses offered in this certificate are part of the MPA core curriculum.
- Graduate Certificate in International and Comparative Public AdministrationITALIC: Provides students with exposure to international policy aspects, such as globalization, immigration, information technology, transnational institutions and other related areas.
If you were admitted to a Graduate Certificate program before Spring 2013, then click here to download the requirements.
Degree Program Hours: 15-18 Credit Hours
Depending on the graduate certificate selected, students may finish the program by taking 5 or 6 courses. Some of these courses are required core courses for the Master of Public Administration degree program.
Students must be actively enrolled in the MPA, or another degree-seeking, program and must be admitted to the certificate program.
Note: Those students who apply for and are admitted to the Master of Public Administration degree program may have certificate courses credited toward the MPA degree provided each course has a grade of “B” or higher and the student is admitted to the MPA program prior to the completion of no more than 12 Graduate Certificate credits.
How to Apply
In order for you to be officially considered for admission to a Graduate Certificate program, you must complete the following steps:
- Submit an application online:
- If you are currently enrolled in a FIU Master's or Doctoral degree program – Graduate Certificate Program Application
- Submit an application fee. A $30.00, non-refundable, application fee payable by check, money order, or credit card is required;
- Submit official transcript/s. Transcripts of all degree granting institutions must be sent directly from each college or university either electronically or in a sealed envelope to the Graduate Admissions Office (Note: If your undergraduate degree was from FIU you don’t need to do this because your student records are accessible by computer from the Department);
- Submit resume to the Graduate Admissions Office
Use the Graduate Certificate Application to keep track of the courses you complete. When you have completed all certificate courses, turn in this form to the Department of Public Administration. You will receive your Certificate by mail after completion of the MPA program.
Students must complete their program of study within three years from the date of admission and earn a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. All course grades must be "C" or better. Admission is competitive.
Graduate Certificate Specific Details
- Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security & Emergency Management (Modesto Maidique Campus).
- Graduate Certificate in Community Development (Modesto Maidique Campus).
- Graduate Professional Certificate in Human Resource Policy and Management (Modesto Maidique Campus and Online).
- Graduate Certificate in Public Management (Modesto Maidique Campus).
- Graduate Certificate in International and Comparative Public Administration (Modesto Maidique Campus).
- Graduate Certificate in Public Finance, Procurement, and Contract Management (Modesto Maidique Campus).
Tuition and Fees
Daniella S. Long, M.A.
Coordinator of Academic Support Services
Department of Public Administration
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique Campus
11200 S.W. 8th Street, PCA 252A
Miami, FL 33199