Meredith A. Newman, Ph.D., is Professor of Public Administration at Florida International University. In her immediate past role as Vice Provost for Faculty and Global Affairs, she worked to oversee all initiatives that support faculty, including recruitment, promotion and retention of faculty and other areas that relate to a professionalized faculty and career progression. Additionally, she oversaw FIU Global, which centralizes the university’s global initiatives in regards to planning, facilitating, coordinating and initiating partnerships with international institutions and organizations.
Dr. Newman joined FIU as Director of the School of Public Administration in 2006. She subsequently served as Chair of the Department of Public Administration before joining the Dean’s office at the College of Arts & Sciences in January 2013 as Senior Associate Dean and subsequently as Vice Dean. Her successful academic career includes appointments at the University of Illinois Springfield and at Washington State University Vancouver. Prior to her career in academia, Newman served with the Australian Foreign Service, the U.S. Department of State, and the World Bank, including tours of duty in France, Viet Nam, Senegal, Malaysia, and Republic of Singapore.
Dr. Newman is recognized as one of the leading experts in the field of public management and the emotive aspects of work. Dr. Newman’s books have won numerous awards. Her impact on the field and contributions to the profession have been recognized by a series of awards, such as the Lifetime Achievement in Public Human Resources Scholarship Award of the American Society for Public Administration; and the O.P. Dwivedi Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Advancement of Public Administration and Public Policy in the World of the International Association of Schools and Institutes of Administration.
Dr. Newman is past Chair of the Commission on Peer Review and Accreditation of the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration (NASPAA); and Past President of the American Society for Public Administration (ASPA). She is Vice President for International Cooperation, the International Association of Schools and Institutes of Administration (IASIA); and a Fellow of the National Academy of Public Administration (NAPA).
Dr. Newman’s considerable impact on the field is further evidenced by the following achievements and awards:
Five Best Book Awards from:
- Academy of Management, Public and Nonprofit Division (two awards)
- American Society for Public Administration, Human Resource Management Research
- American Society for Public Administration, Public Administration Research
- American Society for Public Administration, Personnel and Labor Relations Section
- Recipient, ASPA Section for Women in Public Administration Joan Fiss Bishop Leadership Award
- Recipient, Florida Glass Ceiling Award, Fourth Annual Florida Women’s Conference
- Recipient, UCF College of Health and Public Affairs Professional Achievement Award; and Outstanding Alumni Award
- FIU’s Top Scholar Awards
- Member, The Australia and New Zealand School of Government (ANZSOG) International Academic Reference Group
- Recipient, 8th Annual Women’s History Reception Honoring Outstanding Women in our Community, ASPA South Florida Chapter
- Recipient, Presidential Citation of Merit, American Society for Public Administration
- Recipient, Editors’ Choice Award, Public Administration Review
- Recipient, Distinguished Research Award, Section for Women in Public Administration, American Society for Public Administration
- Recipient, Research Excellence Award, Washington State University Vancouver
Finally, Dr. Newman’s impact on the field is expressed in her mentorship of doctoral students and her graduate course offerings, which provide career growth and professional development opportunities for junior scholars and senior practitioners alike.