|Modesto Maidique Campus and Online|
- Certificates are available as specializations completed in conjunction with the MPA degree.
- Many MPA Students complete a certificate as part of their MPA program by selecting electives that meet certificate requirements.
- Students can complete the MPA and a graduate certificate within the 42-credit requirement.
Seven Graduate Certificates
- Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security & Emergency Management: Helps professionals navigate a complex intergovernmental policy framework with an eye to best practice allocation of scarce resources devoted to preventing or mitigating the impacts of natural and man-made disasters.
- Graduate Certificate in Nonprofit and Community Development: Provides tools and analytic frameworks useful to local decision-makers responsible for developing and managing sustainable high-wage communities in an increasingly competitive world economy.
- Graduate Certificate in Human Resource Policy and Management: Provides students with a thorough understanding of the managerial concepts and techniques of human resource (personnel) management.
- Graduate Certificate in Public Finance, Procurement, and Contract Management : Provides students exposure to competencies in contract and project management, public finance and the budgetary process, procurement and ethics, and legal aspects of procurement and public finance.
- Graduate Certificate in Public Management: Prepares students who need the background in public administration but cannot commit to a full MPA degree. This certificate is only available to non-MPA students. Most of the courses offered in this certificate are part of the MPA core curriculum.
- Graduate Certificate in International and Comparative Public Administration: Provides students with exposure to international policy aspects, such as globalization, immigration, information technology, transnational institutions and other related areas.
- Graduate Certificate in Urban Policy Innovations: Provides critical analytical and policymaking skills. Prepares students to identify, analyze, and develop innovative policy solutions for urban issues and challenges in areas of, including but not limited to, housing, transportation, economic development, urban revitalization, sustainability and resilience, smart growth, social equity, law enforcement and crime, climate change, and health care.
If you were admitted to a Graduate Certificate program before Spring 2013, then click here to download the requirements.
Certificate Program Hours: 15 Credit Hours
Students may finish a certificate program by completing 15 credits (five courses) stipulated by each Certificate Program. Some of these courses are required core courses for the Master of Public Administration degree program.
Students must be actively enrolled in the MPA, or another degree-seeking, program and must be admitted to the certificate program. There is no stand-alone offering for any of the Graduate Certificates.
Note: Those students who apply for and are admitted to the Master of Public Administration degree program may have certificate courses credited toward the MPA degree provided each course has a grade of “B” or higher and the student is admitted to the MPA program prior to the completion of no more than 12 Graduate Certificate credits.
How to Apply
In order for you to be officially considered for admission to a Graduate Certificate program, you must complete the following steps:
- Submit an application online:
- Submit an application fee. A $30.00, non-refundable, application fee payable by check, money order, or credit card is required;
- Submit official transcript/s. Transcripts of all degree granting institutions must be sent directly from each college or university either electronically or in a sealed envelope to the Graduate Admissions Office (Note: If your undergraduate degree was from FIU you don’t need to do this because your student records are accessible by computer from the Department);
- Submit resume to the Graduate Admissions Office
Use the Graduate Certificate Application to keep track of the courses you complete. When you have completed all certificate courses, turn in this form to the Department of Public Policy and Administration. You will receive your Certificate by mail after completion of the MPA program.
Students must complete their program of study within three years from the date of admission and earn a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. All course grades must be "C" or better. Admission is competitive.
Tuition and Fees
Florida residents are eligible for in-state tuition and students employed by the State of Florida may qualify for a State Employee Tuition Waiver. The MPA program also accepts the FIU Employee Tuition Waiver. For more information regarding FIU's tuition and fees, please visit the Office of Student Financials to use the online Tuition Fee Calculator tool. Additionally, the MPA program offers several scholarship opportunities each year, to learn more visit our Scholarships Page.
Daniella S. Long, M.A.
Coordinator of Academic Support Services
Department of Public Administration
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique Campus
11200 S.W. 8th Street, PCA 252A
Miami, FL 33199