Graduate Certificate in Public Management
Co-Chair: Dr. Shaoming Cheng, MPA Director
Co-Chair: Dr. Howard Frank, FIU Metropolitan Center Director
This graduate certificate program provides students with a thorough understanding of the managerial concepts and techniques of public administration and is designed particularly for those who already have a professional field of specialization. The Certificate is designed for non-Master of Public Administration (MPA) students, although students who are admitted into this Certificate program may apply for admission to the MPA program. Current MPA students may not be admitted to this Certificate.
All applicants must hold a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university and have an upper division GPA of at least 3.0. Applicants with GPA lower than 3.0 may be considered if they submit a GRE, LSAT or GMAT Score. Students must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program at FIU.
Note: Those students who apply for and are admitted to the Master of Public Administration degree program may have certificate courses credited toward the MPA core. All the credits earned in a Graduate Certificate Program may be used in a master's degree program provided the student is admitted to the master's degree program prior to the completion of no more than 12 Graduate Certificate credits. Courses with a grade of less than B may not count toward MPA program if they were taken as certificate courses.
How to Apply
In order for you to be officially considered for admission to a Graduate Certificate program, you must complete the following steps:
- Submit an application online:
- If you are currently enrolled in a FIU Master's or Doctoral degree program – Graduate Certificate Program Application
- Submit an application fee. A $30.00, non-refundable, application fee payable by check, money order, or credit card is required;
- Submit official transcript/s. Transcripts of all degree granting institutions must be sent directly from each college or university either electronically or in a sealed envelope to the Graduate Admissions Office (Note: If your undergraduate degree was from FIU you don’t need to do this because your student records are accessible by computer from the Department);
- Submit resume to the Graduate Admissions Office
Use the Graduate Certificate Application to keep track of the courses you complete. When you have completed all certificate courses, turn in this form to the Department of Public Administration. You will receive your Certificate by mail after completion of the MPA program.
Students must complete their program of study within three years from the date of admission and earn a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. All course grades must be "C" or better.
Curriculum (15 credits)
|PAD 6053||Political, Social, and Economic Context of PA||3|
|PAD 6156||Applied Organization Theory and Behavior||3|
|PAD 6227||Public Finance and Budgetary Process||3|
|PAD 6306||Policy Analysis and Program Planning||3|
|PAD 6807||Urban and Municipal Government Administration||3|
- Download program worksheet here
(If you were admitted to a Graduate Certificate program before Spring 2013, then click here to download the requirements.)
Tuition and Fees
Shaoming Cheng, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Public Administration &
Director, Master of Public Administration Program
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique Campus,
11200 S.W. 8th Street, PCA 350A
Miami, FL 33199