MMC Master of Public Administration
- Classes are offered on the Modesto Maidique Campus
- All classes are offered Monday through Thursday
- Students can take one, two, three or four graduate classes at a time
- Students are allowed to take a mix of on-campus and online classes
- Fall Priority Deadline: March 1st; Final Deadline: June 1st; International F-1 students February 15
- Spring Priority Deadline: September 1st; Final Deadline: October 1st; International F-1 students August 1
- Please note that the MPA program utilizes rolling admissions. Applications will be reviewed and admissions decisions will be made as applications are received. Please do not wait until the final deadline date to apply.
Download the Master of Public Administration Program Brochure
- Top-Quality Faculty: The FIU MPA Faculty is the largest in South Florida and is the only full-time public administration department in Miami-Dade County. The majority of the program’s courses are taught by full-time FIU Public Administration professors who are also top scholars in the field of public administration.
- Top Quality NASPAA-Accredited Curriculum: FIU’s MPA program is accredited by The Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA). The FIU MPA program is the only NASPAA-Accredited Program in Miami-Dade County.
- Top Quality Students: Our students are very well accomplished academically and professionally. The MPA program is very selective.
- Best Reputation in the Region: The US News and World Report ranks the MPA program at FIU the best in the South Florida region.
- Networking: Best Public Administration and Non-Profit Alumni Network in the Region.
- Quality Career Services: Access to FIU’s extensive Career Services Department provides students with the tools, skills and knowledge to be successful in today’s competitive job market. The Program has its own dedicated Career Development Coordinator housed in the Department of Public Administration.
- Public Service Internship Option: All students without sufficient public service experience will have the opportunity to complete a 300-hour public service internship at a location and position level approved by the MPA Internship Instructor.
Degree Program Hours: 42 Credit Hours
Accredited by The Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration (NASPAA), the program requires a completion of 42 credit hours.
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution;
- Three letters of recommendation from undergraduate faculty or work supervisors;
- Current resume;
- Three page essay; *Note: The essay should demonstrate graduate level writing competency and should address long term career goals associated with earning a Master of Public Administration. Students may also discuss passions for public issues or policies and may communicate potential for success in graduate school.
- GRE, GMAT, or LSAT score if undergraduate GPA is less than 3.25 in the last 60 credits of upper division coursework; *Note: The GRE score may be waived at the discretion of the MPA Director for students:
- who have completed at least 18 credits of graduate level coursework, or
- who have significant work experience (at administrative analyst or higher level) in the public or non-profit sector
- All documents must be submitted by the application deadline.
How to Apply
In order to be officially considered for admission to the FIU MPA program, students must complete the following steps:
- Submit an application online. Click here to start an application online via the FIU University Graduate School;
- Submit an application fee. A $30.00, non-refundable, application fee payable by check, money order, or credit card is required;
- Submit official transcript/s. Transcripts of all degree granting institutions must be sent directly from each college or university either electronically or in a sealed envelope to the Graduate Admissions Office (Note: If your undergraduate degree was from FIU you don’t need to do this because your student records are accessible by computer from the Department);
- Submit three letters of recommendation, resume, and essay to the Graduate Admissions Office;
- Submit all above documents by the application deadline
- Please note that the MPA program utilizes rolling admissions. Applications will be reviewed and admissions decisions will be made as applications are received.
Click here for a PDF of the Graduate Student – Admission Process Checklist
Students must maintain a cumulative 3.0 GPA. A grade of ‘C’ or better is required for every core course. Note: A ‘C-’ is not acceptable. The program reserves the right to withhold the awarding of credit for course work taken out of sequence and without appropriate prerequisites.
MPA Core Requirements: 8 Courses (24 Credits).
- PAD 6053 Political, Social & Economic Context of Public Administration
- (Note; This course must be taken in the first semester)
- PAD 6306 Policy Analysis & Program Planning
- PAD 6417 Human Resources Management & Policy
- PAD 6701 Quantitative Applications
- PAD 6227 Public Finance & the Budgetary Process
- PAD 6434 Leadership & Decision Making
- PAD 6726 Applied Research Methods for Accountability in Public and Non-Profit Organizations
- (Note: The prerequisite for this course is PAD 6701)
- PAD 6056 The Practice of Public Management
- (Note: Prerequisites: Completion of MPA Core or last semester of course work status)
Electives (18 credits)
Students may specialize in Human Resources Management, Public Management, Homeland Security and Emergency Management, Nonprofit and Community Development, Comparative and International Public Administration, or an Outside Field. NOTE: Students must have a “C” or better in all courses; a “C-“ is not acceptable.
PAD 6946, Public Administration Internship, may be used as an elective. Students with less than 3 years of professional (public/non-profit service at “analyst” or higher level) may be required by the admission committee to complete a public service internship.
Tuition and Fees
Master of Public Administration
Florida International University
Modesto A. Maidique PCA 257
11200 SW 8th Street
Miami, FL 33199